[talk-au] Increased precision options for Australia - QZSS, SBAS or Galileo

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:45:20 UTC 2018

On 12/06/18 13:05, nwastra wrote:
> There is expected to be improved gps accuracy in a few years time in
> Australia but unsure if usual gps units used by the public will show
> improved results but I expect they will.
> http://www.ga.gov.au/news-events/news/latest-news/ceo-statement-on-budget-2018-19

Government talk 'a few years time' = beyond our next election. Could be
10 years ... or never.

>> On 12 Jun 2018, at 12:56 PM, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> If you use RTK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_kinematic you
>> should get centimeter accuracy, but expect to pay $10k+.
>>
>> https://www.swiftnav.com <https://www.swiftnav.com/> seems like a
>> cheaper option but not sure if it works in Australia and it not a
>> consumer device, seems they just sell the boards.
>> ...once you obtain sub-meter accuracy, keep in mind the whole
>> continent is moving so even if you had no error in your GPS, a node
>> someone entered in OSM in 2007 from GPS would be almost a meter out
>> from someone entering it into OSM today.
>>
>> The SBAS trial was only aviable to selected people as part of the
>> trial, does anyone know if it'll will work on regular devices, or
>> will we need to run additional software, for Android, iOS?
>>
>> On 12 June 2018 at 12:39, Alex Sims <alex at softgrow.com
>> <mailto:alex at softgrow.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     I’m really wanting to have better accuracy from GPS for use with
>>     Openstreetmap. I can use survey marks and a laser rangefinder,
>>     but having a portable GPS would make so much easier to fix errors
>>     where objects have been armchair mapped or even GPS mapped with
>>     errors up to 3 meters.

Ha. 3 meters is the 'best' you might get. Typically it is 10 meters. And
both those measurements are at 1 sigma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-Zenith_Satellite_System

>>       * Galileo – looks promising but when I’ve tested on supported
>>         devices (friends who have recent phones) the accuracy isn’t
>>         delivered. Further investigation shows that there aren’t
>>         enough satellites in service yet most of the day to give 4
>>         visible. (Using GNSS View http://qzss.go.jp/en/ English text)
>>       * Lastly the SBAS trial from Geoscience Australia -
>>         http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/positioning-navigation/positioning-for-the-future/satellite-based-augmentation-system
>>         <http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/positioning-navigation/positioning-for-the-future/satellite-based-augmentation-system>
>>         - nothing magical has happened with any of the consumer grade
>>         devices I have access to. Also not sure how to test on an
>>         Android device if it is being used.
>>

>>     Has anyone obtained sub-meter accuracy from any of these
>>     approaches, it must be possible?
>>
>>     Please discuss.

Theoretically possible. But
1) is it implemented - ie available for use.
2) are units available?
3) what accuracy is available at a 'realistic' price for consumer use?

Don't hold your breath.

You noticed the improvement with the inclusion of the Russian
Satellites? ..