[talk-au] Got an email from Royal Geographical Society of QLD about Boundaries

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:13:51 UTC 2018

Yes to OHM.

However some of the present day boundaries have there origins in the original boundaries, so some of them may be useful in OSM too.

As there are 'pastoral' boundaries they would be seen as 'farms' in OHS/M terms, not an administrative boundary - except where that occurs.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Farm for farm type mapping.

As a first instance I would map the boundaries as simple landuse=farmland,
  coming along later to make it a relation with a hole for the landuse=farmyard (homestead +  other buildings etc).
Note that relations will be an important thing to learn so boundary ways can be shared, this will be a new skill to learn for the building mappers.

The important thing in OHM is the start_date and end_date

https://wiki .openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:start_date

and as a confusing over view
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts
Might be better to keep learners away from that page, sigh.