[talk-au] State names

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sun Jun 24 08:16:26 UTC 2018

I assume we are specifically talking about addr:state
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr:state> ? If so the
connotation is on the state as part of a postal address rather than as a
place per se. Therefore I suggest using capitalised abbreviation and
that the document Warin quotes is authoritative. The wiki page also
notes that US states are similarly treated.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/australia-post-addressing-standards-1999.pdf

Randomly looking at Queensland as place=state, I see that ref=QLD is
already set as well as short_name, so there is a link that can be used
in computational processing.

And thinking on it, perhaps there are no other active uses? I used to
use is_in a lot, but I don't think it is in widespread use any more.

Mike