[talk-au] Road name abbreviation exception?

Nathan Ginther (Insight Global Inc) v-nagint at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 28 19:21:12 UTC 2018

Hello all, our team has come into an interesting situation regarding road name abbreviations, we know that as a policy we spell out any and all abbreviations on the OSM map, however it looks like we may have run into an exception in the use of "Saint vs St" (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Invalid_Abbreviation_Expansion).  It looks like the use of "St" instead of spelling out "Saint" is accepted within the mapping community, and might be the proper English spelling, but we want to get the response from the community as what is the accepted/preferred use when naming roads specifically, should we be spelling out Saint, or using St?