[talk-au] I have written a response to DNRM, please give feedback

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Mon Mar 12 05:16:03 UTC 2018

It appears so, and they just have a boilerplate response to these types of
questions now.

Since we are stuck between DNRM and OSMF on CC-BY 4.0 (in no ill way) it
would be good to at least clear up the current position so others don't get
caught like me. The CC-BY 2.5 attribution was granted by the data.gov.au
team not DNRM (or a former named department), so how relevant/legal do we
think this is now that we know DNRM's position on the matter who are the
actual copyright owner.

> [...] We have also been given explicit permission to incorporate and
publish such CC-BY licensed geographic coordinate datasets under a free and
open license, including the Open Database License, provided that primary
attribution is made here and that each dataset used is also listed here in
the format Dataset Name, Date Published, License, Agency Name, originally
retrieved from http://data.australia.gov.au:
> [...]
> Property Boundaries Annual Extract Queensland (Lite DCDB), unknown
publication date, CC-BY 2.5 Australia, Queensland Department of Environment
and Resource Management, originally retrieved from http://data.gov.au/152
(Archived)
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Commonwealth_of_Australia)

> Contains data from Australian government public information datasets. The
original datasets are available from the Australian government data website
under Creative Commons - Attribution 2.5 Australia (CC-BY) and Creative
Commons - Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC-BY). We have also been given
explicit permission to incorporate and publish such CC-BY licensed
geographic coordinate datasets under a free and open license, including the
Open Database License, provided that primary attribution is made here and
that each dataset used is also listed here in the format Dataset Name, Date
Published, License, Agency Name, originally retrieved from
http://data.australia.gov.au
(
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution/data.gov.au_explicit_permission
)

Even if we got an older copy of the data (which would still be very
useful), we still need explicit permission to use this CC-BY 2.5 data
according to OSMF:

> Both the 2.0 and 3.0 versions of the CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution)
licence have been popular with government and other sources for a long
time. Due to differences between CC BY and the ODbL with respect to
attribution, the LWG (OSMF Licence/Legal Working Group) has always required
explicit permission from licensors to use such data in OpenStreetMap and
attribute by adding an entry to our attribution pages on our central
websites.
(https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/)

IANAL, but now that we know officially that DNRM won't give it to us on
CC-BY 4.0 data they most likely wouldn't give us that permission on the
CC-BY 2.x/3.x data either today, we should make changes to the
contributions page to reflect that DNRM has not given us permission to
incorporate their data. I'm going to revert my recent changes earlier this
year which were flagged, but it also means if we come across imported data
from the DCDB which there is some I've seen attributed to it, then we
should remove it and replace it with something we can derive from another
source.

Jono