[talk-au] I have written a response to DNRM, please give feedback

osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au
Mon Mar 12 15:22:59 UTC 2018

I’ve looked through a number of the “open data policy” documents published by different Queensland government departments, and I’ve noticed that a lot of them contain references to the “Open Data Institute Queensland”. I’ve searched for their website, and it’s here: https://theodi.org.au/

Looking at their mission statement: “We are a pioneer node of the Open Data Institute. Pioneer nodes bring together communities, host events, showcase open data use cases, and help promote awareness and understanding of open data.”

I’m wondering if it might be worthwhile to contact them, lay out the problem OSM has with utilizing data published under CC BY 4.0 and get them to help advocate the granting of the waiver for us, instead of us trying to convince every single data stakeholder directly.

Looking wider, behind the Australian Open Data Institute stands the international Open Data Institute: https://theodi.org/

As this CC BY 4.0 issue is not just Australian in Nature, it might make sense for the appropriate working group at OSM to get in contact with them and try to get them to publicly advocate for granting the necessary waiver, not even specifically to OSM, but make it a general “CC BY 4.0 vs ODbL” compatibility waiver.

Cheers,

Thorsten