[talk-au] I have written a response to DNRM, please give feedback

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Mar 12 23:32:24 UTC 2018

On 12.03.2018 21:28, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> On 12/03/18 22:57, Simon Poole wrote:
>>
>> - has the DNRM explicitly made a statement on the validity of the
>> explicit permission from data.gov.au back then?
>
> All you need is a basic understanding of the Australian system of
> government. A federal bureaucrat does not have the authority to make
> decisions about the licensing of a State owned dataset. But to confirm
> someone could contact DNRM and ask the question.
Australia is no different than practically any other
federation/confederation in that aspect, you are assuming that
data.gov.au received the data from the states on the same terms as
everybody else, that really doesn't have to be so. Nor do I believe that
the explicit permission we received in any way restrained the states in
how they could license and distribute their datasets themselves.

All that said, does data.gov.au actually have any geospatial datasets
anymore? Seems as if that has moved to http://www.nationalmap.gov.au

Simon