[talk-au] I have written a response to DNRM, please give feedback

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Mar 13 09:47:11 UTC 2018

To give a bit more context and perhaps point out a way to resolve this
without every thing blowing up:

At the time the permission from data.gov.au was obtained, OSM was in the
final stages of the licence change. Normally the LWG wouldn't have
become directly involved at all in the matter of licensing national
datasets, just as it is now only involved on request in late stage
vetting. However at the time there was a die hard group of people that
wanted to derail the licence change at essentially all costs, and
unluckily some of the louder voices were Australian. The people involved
jumped on use of CC BY 2.* datasets from Australian government sources
in OSM as one of the major arguments against the licence change and
nobody local seemed to be willing to resolve the issue, as a result the
LWG engaged directly with data.gov.au.

Now it should be pointed out that, as I've said previously, the major
concern, and why we wanted permission in the first place is that the
ODbL doesn't require downstream attribution on derivative databases and
works, it just requires a pointer back to the source of the database.
That is the reason why OSM, in one way or the other, has always required
that data sources that have licensed their data on CC BY 2.X/3.0 terms
agree that indirect attribution via the website or the contributors page
is sufficient. I have yet to hear that such agreement has been withheld,
as clearly anything else would be totally impractical. It should be
noted that we didn't require downstream attribution even when OSM data
was licensed CC BY SA 2.0, and we would have needed exactly the same
permission even without the licence change, it was simply the event
which made these issues surface.

Now going forward, if there is local consensus that the permission from
data.gov.au is not enough, there is no reason that the local community
can't go back to the relatively small number of CC BY 2.X/3.0 sources
and ask for agreement that the attribution that we have been providing
all the time on the contributors page is sufficient.  That doesn't
resolve the issue with CC BY 4.0 datasets* which is, as said, a
different license. and where we really need the waivers, but would keep
all past contributions safe.

Simon

* a small note on the side, when discussing ODbL and CC BY 4.0
compatibility with Creative Commons, representatives of the organisation
voiced the opinion that most of the rewrite was just clarification of
terms that the previous versions contained, in particular that the
attribution requirement had always allowed indirect attribution if it
was the appropriate choice.