[talk-au] Tathra Fires

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:58:11 UTC 2018

In follow up emails to LPI they responded in red to these questions:

- OpenStreetMap (OSM) may use and incorporate NSW data and derived products
> into its database if attribution is provided as previously specified in
> this email chain. Agree
>

> - You understand that the OSM database into which the NSW data will be
> incorporated is presently licensed under the terms of the Open Database
> License (ODbL) version 1.0; and that it is possible for the project to
> update or change this license (though I should note that this has only
> happened once in the project's ten year history). Agree, as long as the
> changes do not go against the CC by licence and our acknowledgment
> requirements.
>

> - You understand that OSM data is reused by various third parties under
> the terms of the ODbL ("downstream use") and in ways that make attribution
> of all original data sources impossible; and you therefore agree that
> downstream use of OSM data including or derived from NSW data is not
> subject to the "reasonable" attribution requirements imposed by the NSW
> data's CC-BY license. Agree, unless it can be clearly identified as LPI
> Data. For example majority of the derivative work it made up of NSW data.

Sorry guys, I was overthinking that last answer too much. Originally I
thought it meant we can't import so much data that OSM looks like the LPI
base map, but re-reading I believe it just tries to close a loophole where
a user could push LPI data through OSM to clean it of their attribution
responsibilities to LPI. So on second thought, it's probably okay to bring
in more LPI data, that said we should still be cautious without the
official OSMF waiver.

> Re imports, if its available in a shapefile or similar; I can do some of
the prep work.

It's not. It's not even available as a vector format under an open license,
so for now it's only the raster basemap we can work off.