[talk-au] Correcting inland water features

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:35:34 UTC 2018

On 16/05/18 03:05, Andrew Wiseman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Andrew, I work for Appleā€™s Maps team. We are interested in
> doing some fixes and improvements to inland water features in
> Australia on OSM, such as adding and improving geometry of polygons
> for lakes and wide rivers, fixing broken relations, and correcting
> alignment issues for inland features when they meet the coast.
>
> We have a GitHub page here with more information about the project:
> https://github.com/osmlab/appledata/issues/85
>
> Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Many inland waters in Australia are 'intermittent' meaning they only
flow when there is rain and that rain may only occur every 5 years or so
on average.

Some waterways are seasonal ... mostly in the north for the wet season
around Xmas time.

The LPI Base Map for the state of NSW is a fairly good source for
geometry of waterways and it is usable within OSM.

I have changed some of the inland waterways to intermittent but there
are others that I have left, these I lack knowledge of to tag them
intermittent.
The base map now differentiates the intermittent waters so they do show
up and are therefore easy to identify and correct any tagging.