[talk-au] Correcting inland water features

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat May 19 01:34:33 UTC 2018

On 19/05/18 11:02, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> On 16/05/18 07:35, Warin wrote:
>> Many inland waters in Australia are 'intermittent' meaning they only
>> flow when there is rain and that rain may only occur every 5 years or
>> so on average.
>
> The vast majority of Australian stream are non-perennial. The WSJ has
> a cool slider that shows this:
>
> http://graphics.wsj.com/documents/wsj_sliders14/AustralianStreams
>
> There are a least two problems for Australian mapping:
>
> 1. There is no OSM tag for ephemeral streams. On a stream length basis
> the majority of Australian streams are ephemeral.

Some are using stream=ephemeral ... low usage.
I'd rather go with ephemeral=yes as that then can be used on 'lakes' and
other things.

> 2. There is no OSM tag for the end of a watercourse. This causes
> problems for validators because they can't tell if a stream finishes
> because the mapper gave up or the stream itself just peters out.

I did strike one stream that flowed in to a river .. at both ends!! That
had me puzzled. I tracked it back using topo information to find it went
over a saddle, so I mapped it as flowing away from the saddle on both
sides ..

As for indicating an 'end' ... maybe exit=underground on the last node ???