[talk-au] Queensland Govt Spatial Catalogue

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:35:42 UTC 2018

Surfacing an old thread here as there have been recent developments.

The "Protected areas of Queensland - boundaries" dataset from QSpatial[1]
has been previously imported by QldProtectedAreas[2]. It's CC BY 3.0 AU
licensed, but the data custodian (Department of Environment and Science) has
completed the OSMF CC BY waiver[3] clearing the data for use in OSM from a
licensing perspective. The data custodian only agreed to complete the
waiver for that specific dataset due to concerns about the data quality of
other datasets.

As far as I'm aware we haven't been able to get the waiver completed by
other departments who publish their data on QSpatial and we have no
QSpatial blanket waiver, only this specific dataset.

Is anyone interested in updating OSM based on some of the new data from
this dataset? A quick scan in QGIS there are some differences (mostly due
to new data published on QSpatial) but mostly it's consistent.

To compare the two I,

1. Downloaded queensland.osm.pdf extract from
http://download.openstreetmap.fr/extracts/oceania/australia/
2. Extracted protected areas from that file with:
osmium tags-filter --overwrite -o qld-protected-areas.osm.pbf
queensland.osm.pbf nwr/boundary=protected_area,national_park,state_forest

Giving https://tianjara.net/data/QLD_Protected_Areas.geojson from QSpatial
and https://tianjara.net/data/qld-protected-areas.geojson from OSM which
can be compared in QGIS or JOSM using the GeoJSON plugin.

[1] http://qldspatial.information.qld.gov.au/catalogue/custom/index.page
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/QldProtectedAreas
[3]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:QPWS_ProtectedAreas_CC-BY3.0_OSM_PermissionSigned.pdf