[talk-au] Small culverts/bridges in bushland

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Wed May 30 04:14:43 UTC 2018

> If you 'jump across it' I'd go for ford. Reason ... it is not a bridge,
> nor a culvert both of which require infrastructure.
> The ford to me give warning that I might get wet feet, and that if flooded
> I may have to wait.
> So that is the 'best fit' where the crossing has nothing other than what
> nature has provided.

When I said "more significant bridges (maybe anything you couldn't jump
across)", I meant that without the bridge you couldn't jump across. There
definitely is man made infrastructure, but they are small and just "anchor"
on either side of the stream.

I should have done this at the beginning, I've got some random examples
from Google Images that should help illustrate what I'm referring to.

Easy to jump over on foot, more just a convenience bridge especially for
wheeled users:
- https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/mtb/7018727_large_1495548882.jpg
- https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/mtb/7000400_medium_1418669614.jpg
- https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/mtb/7005254_medium_1442023869.jpg
-
https://i.wnc.io/s1024/2016-12-20_pisgah-bent-creek_small-creek-trail-sign-and-bridge.jpg
-
http://www.fotwheel.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/preacher-bridge-1000x1000.jpg

Too big to jump on foot (or too deep), so map it:
-
http://fearlessenterprising.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/small-garden-bridge-plans-bright-inspiration-9-bridges-home-outdoor-decoration.jpg
-
https://i.wnc.io/s1024/2016-12-20_pisgah-bent-creek_homestead-trail-orange-blaze-bridge.jpg