[talk-au] Small culverts/bridges in bushland

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Wed May 30 08:10:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 5:34 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/05/18 16:03, Jonathon Rossi wrote:
>
> I would say both of these should be mapped as bridges.
>>

> Problem: Personal discussion being shown on public list..
> If you want more than the two of you  to contribute then hold the
> discussion here. :)

I quoted the whole off-list "discussion" with Thorsten. Since it was short
and not controversial, I assumed it was in error not using reply all.
Apologies if this is against some sort of mailing list etiquette, but in my
use of mailing lists it is common people forget to reply all.

I'd like to, but the problem it causes is that trails in national parks and
> bushland are usually named, and MTB trails have other tags including
> difficulty ratings. By splitting these trails to add tiny bridges it makes
> it harder to maintain consistent tags on separate highways, I know of a few
> trails with half a dozen tiny bridges.
>
> Do you see this as a problem? Or do you think I'm just making a storm in a
> teacup?
>

> Routes can be had in a relation containing many things including bridges.
> The difficulty rating could be placed on separate sections - the
> individual ways, or placed in the relation as the same for all the route
> ... depends on how much detail you want to get.

IMBA difficulty ratings (and those for hiking and horse riding) generally
apply to the whole trail even if one section is easier, because you can't
just leave the trail if it gets hard and usually trail builders will have
decided the classification before starting work. However, trails can
sometimes fork (for a decent length) and rejoin, so that does already give
you multiple ways.

If the trail has the same name along all its length .. there is no problem
> in splitting it up and having the same name on the separate ways .. just
> like there in for highways now.
> It is a 'challenge' to maintain some of it .. but it is the truth and so
> that should be what is in OSM.

Great, I wanted to make sure people didn't see bush paths/trails as less
important than roads for cars. I guess the only way to avoid fords being
mapped incorrectly is to map bridges where they actually exist no matter
their size.

Thanks