[talk-au] National Cycle Networks..

Ian Sergeant inas66 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:59:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've noticed over the past few years a National Cycle Network "creep"
in Australia.

Personally, I'm not sure that Australia has anything that would really
count as a national cycleway network.  This concept was developed in
the UK and Europe where they really do have developed national routes.

I am prepared to accept that perhaps the (now scrapped) coastal
cycleway may approach a national route - and I know that has been
mapped in places.  But if we choose to map those sections we have to
appreciate that the route has many gaps.

This was particularly concerning when I saw that Bulli Pass was mapped
as part of a National Cycleway Network.  This is a section of steep
road, with no shoulder, used by heavy vehicles.  There is no bicycle
facility, no signage, no nothing.

So, sure, bicycles are free to ride wherever they want. And I'm not
saying this can't be cycled safely.   But I think marking sections
like this is arbitrary at best, and at worst dangerous.

I'd like to hear any viewpoints that agree or differ?  Otherwise, I
might start cutting out these sections of these routes that I know
aren't signed and have no amenity.  Sure - we may have a disconnected
route, but that's the ground-truth as I see it.

I'd like to talk about the possibility of removing some of the high
speed road with no shoulder sections too (at least from the national
cycle routes).  If we look at how Google Maps does this, it's much
more reliable than the proliferation of dodgy routes that we currently
have in OSM.  The expectation of a national cycle route should be our
best facilities, not a windy 100km road with no shoulder.

Ian.