[talk-au] Question Regarding multiple alt_names

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Nov 20 19:13:51 UTC 2018

Hi Nemanja,
You can use semicolons if there are multiple alternate names, like alt_name=Big Apple Street;Highway 666.
Folks used to use name_1, name_2 but this seems to be generally discouraged now.
There is also loc_name but the use of that has always been a bit unclear to me, since local (posted) information should always be considered before anything else.
For numbered highways you can also use the ref / network tag, especially if ‘Highway 666’ is not the posted name.
Wiki pages that are relevant:
* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Multiple_names <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Multiple_names>
* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>
* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multiple_values <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multiple_values>
I don’t know if there’s any local conventions that would trump this general rule — I am not familiar with that, since I am not in / from Australia. Just trying to help :)
Martijn