[talk-au] Sidewalk vs Footpath?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 10:57:05 UTC 2018

Personally I refer to the path next to the road designed for
pedestrians as the footpath, assuming sidewalk is an american term not
really used in Australian English.

So I had set the translation of "sidewalk" in the iD editor for
Australian English to Footpath, however it seems this is causing
confusion and leading to people inadvertently tagging paths not going
along side the road as a sidewalk.

At the moment iD has two presets "Foot path" (highway=footway) and
"Footpath" (highway=footway, footway=sidewalk).

I see now that's just confusing, so I think we should just change this
back to sidewalk as it's probably understood by most Australians and
it's clearer about the distinction between highway=footway and
highway=footway, footway=sidewalk.

Anyone have any thoughts?