[talk-au] Indigenous/traditional naming mapathon in Melbourne

Edoardo Neerhut ed at mapillary.com
Tue Aug 6 03:31:02 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Maptime Melbourne has confirmed the next meetup. It will be held August
20th in downtown Melbourne with a focus on adding Indigenous/traditional
names to natural features like mountains and rivers in OpenStreetMap.

*When: *Tuesday, August 20th at at 17:30 for ~2 hours.
*Where:* The Commons QV <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6636931507>. A
lovely coworking space in the heart of Melbourne.
*What: *Craig Molyneux and Ewen Hill have pointed us to thee VICNAMES
database <https://maps.land.vic.gov.au/lassi/VicnamesUI.jsp> which we will
use as a source. Each participant will be able to go through a few of the
traditional names listed, find the location in OpenStreetMap and add any
associated traditional names. We're aiming to have a few speakers at the
start with experience in mapping aboriginal culture and heritage who will
walk us through some of the considerations.

If you're free, we'd love to see you there.

Cheers,

Ed