[talk-au] [FOSS4G-Oceania] Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 01:08:18 UTC 2019

hey community

I want to temper this a little with Bruce Bannerman’s recent and very
relevant comments on where OSGeo Oceania and FOSS4G SotM Oceania are at.
The main question being:

‘how many things can we do at once?’

In my mind, a laser focus on bedding in OSGeo Oceania and sorting out all
the wrinkles with respect to OSGeo and OSM chapterhood / board processes /
who the org represents / how to represent people who don’t feel immediately
bonded to the idea is the first community priority.

Yes, since 2017 we’ve had remarkable success and we should aim to keep that
momentum. To use an analogy, I feel this revitalised fast-growing tree of
OSGeo Oceania needs a broader base and deeper roots right now.

We need to establish and broaden our regional connections and volunteer
base.

With that in mind, it’s definitely time to start thinking about a 2020
regional event. I’m sure the OSGeo Oceania board will be looking for
proposals soon!

Those are my thoughts - I hope they’re taken as virtual organic mulch and
well composted manure for the future of OSGeo Oceania, and not cold water….

Regards,

Adam