[talk-au] Adding polygons of the aerodromes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 23:33:13 UTC 2019

Many of these 'airports' have no effective boundary and are best
represented by a node.

Some are 'operated' by the local council and the council owns a large
area of land around the 'airport'.

Some may be 'operated by the local station (in American 'ranch') and
they may own some 100s of miles around the 'airport'.

These 'operators' see little point in paying scarce money to fence in
the 'boundaries'.

Many of them have no 'regular commercial' flights, some have regular
postal deliveries (by plane), some have the Doctor fly in (google Royal
Flying Doctor Service).

For the state of New South Wales you may find the LPI Base Map usefull
to find the legal boundaries, those may not exist for some of these
'airports'.

I would not be too anxious to add closed ways for these 'airports'. Few
people use them.

On 26/12/19 07:56, Nemanja Bračko wrote:
> Yes. We do not have other signals. It is possible to miss official
> bounding box (when it is hard to see fence or when there is no fence
> at all), but it will be close enough and it will represent airport
> area. I could see that couple of airports have really rough
> approximation of the boundaries.
>

> Thanks,
> Nemanja
>
> Sent from my phone
>
> On Wed, Dec 25, 2019, 21:42 Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at gmail.com
> <mailto:ben.kelley at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi.
>
>     That seems like a good idea. How will you know the bounds of the
>     airport? Just from aerial photos?
>
>      - Ben.
>
>     On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 at 22:28, Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) via
>     Talk-au <talk-au at openstreetmap.org
>     <mailto:talk-au at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>
>         Hi everyone,
>
>         We would like to manually add polygons around airports in
>         whole Australia. We have added polygons for very few airports
>         that were marked just with a single node.
>
>         By using THIS <https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Pe6> OverPass-Turbo
>         link, you can see that there are nearly 1,200 airports that
>         needs to be inspected.
>
>         We could recognize that other map competitors have properly
>         marked most of these airports as polygons.
>
>         Anyway, we have doubt should we add polygons in the following
>         situation(s):
>
>         https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/73310214
>
>         There are no control tower nor any other buildings. It has a
>         proper name Kulin Airport @-32.6721992, 118.1689987.
>
>         Should we add a polygon in such cases?
>
>         Please note that *we won’t add any polygons* if the
>         airport/airstrip/runway is on the water.

Umm some of the 'water' is very intermittent .. to the degree that
farmers plough it and plant crops on it.