[talk-au] Phone number updates

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 21:15:42 UTC 2019

Morning all & Happy New Year! :-)

After I'd posted, I thought that I should have added some more details.

The number is listed against a public telephone, but it's not a phone
number as such, it's an identification number for that phone. All PTs do
also have a "real" phone number allocated, but they aren't displayed on the
phone (although I believe that may be changing?), both to prevent crime
(people can't ring their local drug dealer who set's up beside the phone
box - yes, seriously!) & also to prevent people placing reverse-charge
calls to a PT.

So should that number even be shown, because, as Warin said, if you ring
it, your call won't go anywhere?

If it should be there, what format should it be in?

Or should it be tagged as something else apart from phone=?

The wiki,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:phone#Phone_numbers_of_telephone_boxes
,
isn't much help :-(