[talk-au] Announcing: OpenStreetCam competition

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Feb 1 21:45:51 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

The OpenStreetCam competitions in Australia and New Zealand are now concluded!
Thank you all who participated! We will announce the winners next week. I need to collect and verify the data.

No reason to stop collecting images! They help tremendously with mapping OSM. As a matter of fact, I created a quick screen-cast to show you how I use OSC detections and images for mapping. Every time I do this I can’t help but think of Clarke’s third law — any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Here’s the link to the video —> https://www.dropbox.com/s/406zllf3qrxpcop/openstreetcam-speed-limit-australia.mp4?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/406zllf3qrxpcop/openstreetcam-speed-limit-australia.mp4?dl=0> and since Dropbox is definitely not magic, let me know if you can’t see this. Please let me know your feedback on working with OSC in JOSM.

Also — we have our first couple of Waylens Horizon cameras[1] on the way to you. If you’re interested in capturing with these advanced cameras, let me know. We plan to get more of them in your hands either through a lending program or a follow-up OSC competition.

Martijn

[1] Read a bit more about these cameras on the OSM US blog: https://www.openstreetmap.us/2018/05/camera-lending-program/ <https://www.openstreetmap.us/2018/05/camera-lending-program/>