[talk-au] Turn lanes review

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:41:19 UTC 2019

So what is considered "best practice" when it comes to lanes - physical or
theoretical markings?

Situation: you have a two-lane, one-way, primary road with an exit coming
up.

Your road is marked as highway=primary, one_way=yes, lanes=2

Should you map in an actual, physical lane splitting off to the left along
the curve of the exit ramp, marked as =primary_link, lanes=1; or change the
=primary to lanes=3, turn:lanes=slight_left|none|none?

I'll openly admit that I add extra physical lanes because I think it
"looks" better that way & makes more sense to follow a "real" road on the
map, rather than just be told "turn slightly left".

Thanks

Graeme