[talk-au] Accessing landcover/trees

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.com.au
Fri Feb 15 03:29:16 UTC 2019

You'll probably run into limits using the Overpass API to extract large
amounts of data.
I'd recommend osmium as it's very fast. Here's an example using it to
filter data by tags
https://osmcode.org/osmium-tool/manual.html#filtering-by-tags
So once you have an extract
http://download.openstreetmap.fr/extracts/ you'd run
osmium tags-filter australia.osm.pbf wr/natural=wood wr/landuse=forest
wr/landcover=trees -o wooded-areas.osm.pbf
"wr" means both ways and relations, which should pick up the one you
found mapped as a relation.
Then you can export to GeoJSON with osmium export
https://docs.osmcode.org/osmium/latest/osmium-export.html
osmium export wooded-areas.osm.pbf -o wooded-areas.geojson

PS. Big fan of your weather tweets on Twitter!