[talk-au] Able to host a tile.osm.org CDN node?

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Tue Feb 19 19:53:40 UTC 2019

Hi OpenStreetMap Talk-AU,

Quick Introduction: I am part of the volunteer Operations team who run
the OpenStreetMap.org infrastructure.

Our tile.openstreetmap.org CDN would greatly benefit from having a
cache server in Australia and/or New Zealand. It would make the
default rendered map on OpenStreetMap.org much faster for Australians.

The live CDN Country -> Edge Cache Mapping:
https://dns.openstreetmap.org/tile.openstreetmap.org.html

Know anyone who could help?
We're ideally looking for a physical server or powerful VM with 8GB+
RAM and at least 146GB of storage.
More details here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/Tile_CDN

Our current peak AU traffic is currently around 18,000,000 Bits per second.

Full breakdown here in bps:
https://git.openstreetmap.org/dns.git/blob/HEAD:/bandwidth/tile.openstreetmap.yml

Feel free to contact me off-list if you prefer.

Kind regards,

Grant