[talk-au] MapRoulette Challenges

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 03:33:55 UTC 2019

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 10:46 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> & then when you add parking & bus lanes into the mix, I'm totally
> confused! :-)

You're not alone. I tend to say away from lane mapping 'cause I think it's
going to do my head in.

> I understand (I think) that we mark parking lanes but they're not counted,
> but bike & bus lanes are?

Bike lanes are not counted. The wiki page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes is fairly clear.  Parking
lanes get tagged with the parking:lane key
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:parking:lane

> So if we look at
> https://www.google.com/maps/@-28.0444106,153.4348424,44m/data=!3m1!1e3
> then south is parking; bike; bus; 2 x through; 1 turn = 5 lanes; while
> north is parking; bike; bus; 2 x through = 4
> Is that correct?

I had a go at tagging the northbound:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/672433705

and southbound:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/672433702

Needs a review because you can guarantee that you'll make a mistake if you
tag something then point everyone on the mail list at it ;-)

Also this isn't the only way to tag it, I could have used the vehicle:lanes
tag rather than the access:lanes tag to get the same outcome.

You can see how hard it would be to programmatically check if the number of
*:lanes is consistent with the lanes=* tag