[talk-au] Sign detections from OpenStreetCam

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Feb 28 20:13:25 UTC 2019

Hi all,

You will remember from my previous messages to this list that OpenStreetCam held a competition to collect imagery in Australia (as well as in New Zealand). The winners have their gift cards, but the community as a whole gains as well. Our map team used the contributed imagery to generate a large enough training set for our sign detection platform to learn 45+ (and growing) Australia-specific sign types. You can use the detected signs to map in JOSM (iD in the future) if you install the OpenStreetCam plugin.

New imagery captured will be analyzed for signs almost immediately. If you go to your own trips you can click on the ‘detections’ tab to see results. Example: https://openstreetcam.org/details/999263/314/detections <https://openstreetcam.org/details/999263/314/detections>

Note that none of this data will be added to OSM automatically — it is available for the community to use.

Here’s a blog post with some more detail: http://blog.improveosm.org/en/2019/02/openstreetcam-detect-signs-in-australia-newzealand/ <http://blog.improveosm.org/en/2019/02/openstreetcam-detect-signs-in-australia-newzealand/>

I hope that you will keep contributing to OSC to improve coverage and generate more of this useful mapping data.

Happy mapping,

Martijn