[talk-au] Fwd: Editing road geometry Australia

John Berkers berjo at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jan 11 08:51:26 UTC 2019

Long time lurker, some time editor.

It is my understanding that marked "turn right only  lanes" are not cause
to create divergent ways.  These should be tagged using the "lanes" key as
per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes

Creating divergent ways is considered "Tagging for the renderer" as the
documented separation is not physically there.

The first one, in WA, appears less of an issue to me.  Perhaps the
separation nodes could be closer to where the ways actually diverge,
somewhere around the mid-point of the dashed lines, rather than at the
start of them.

The second one, near Canberra, has clearly diverged ways most of the way
along the bridge.

This intersection in Melbourne could potentially serve as an example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-37.93265/145.15653

Where there are actual medians between lanes, the ways separate, otherwise,
they do not.

Hope I haven't spoken out of turn.  The views expressed above are my
understanding of the guidelines with respect to mapping what is actually
there.

Regards,

JohnB