[talk-au] Map use without attribution

cameron at dewitte.id.au cameron at dewitte.id.au
Thu Jul 25 02:58:58 UTC 2019

We have https://switch2osm.org/ which details how to use OSM in place of Google maps. In terms of the OP and the incorrect attribution, what I assume has happened is that after Google's pricing change they just switched out the image source in their existing map embed for tiles.osm... resulting in what we see.

https://operations.osmfoundation.org/policies/tiles/ is OSMs tile policy. My general understanding has always been that for small/low traffic things using tiles.osm is fine, but for anything that will send significant traffic to the tile CDN is probably better off using a proper tile service.

(Apologies if something goes weird with this message, I've never sent to a mailing list before)