[talk-au] Road classification in AUS

Sebastian Spiess mapping at consebt.de
Thu Jul 25 23:13:32 UTC 2019

Am 2019-07-25 23:48, schrieb Andrew Harvey:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 21:12, Aleksandar Matejevic (E-Search)
> <v-maalek at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply,
>>
>> I haven't followed Wiki blindly because it can be contradictory
>> sometimes, that's the reason why I'm asking these questions here.
>> Also, I think that gov routes are there to indicate importance of
>> the road and flow of traffic.
>>
>> I would personally wait for couple of more opinions regarding this
>> before reverting suggested road classification. If there are any
>> local mapper for these areas It would be great if they could turn
>> into conversation to give an opinion?
>
> I think we have enough comments here, and documentation on both the
> highway=motorway and Australian Tagging Gudelines wiki page (that Seb
> just pointed out) to say that
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/110348897/history and the rest of
> that road should be reverted, as it's clearly not a highway=motorway.

A bit OT but I noticed that the previous version had bicycle=yes. This
is also an an aspect that contradicts my understanding of a highway.
Many major roads, even toll ways have bicycle signage and it seems to be
accepted to use by bike. This is very different from e.g. Germany where
this is forbidden on an Autobahn.