[talk-au] Road classification in AUS

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 23:56:47 UTC 2019

On 25/07/19 23:06, Sebastian S. wrote:
> Hi Aleksandar,
>
> Just in case you have not reviewed it, there Is a wiki page Australian
> tagging guideline
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines
>
> However Regarding your question 1 mayor road classification has always
> been a no-go for me.
> E.g. A8 Pittwater Road, North of Sydney, NSW.
>
> It is an 'A' road according to Wikipedia these As are "primary
> highways, including urban arterials and interstate or interregional
> single carriageways."
>
> Now for the most part the A8 has two or more lanes that are separated,
> however the road is also lined with intersections with red lights,
> driveways and houses. It is an important and high capacity road.
>
> While the first points to me indicate it should be highway=trunk the
> last points make me think it should be highway=primary.
>
> As I often find myself in similar dilemmas I tend to not change the
> classification.

For some guidance in NSW the LPI Base Map can be of help.
As an example I use it for tertiary versus unclassified as these tend
not to have physical differences but the importance to the local
community is the thing that changes them.

> Aside from providing some examples of your cases I ask you what is
> your driver to look at the road classification and see the need to
> revise it?
>
> What are the benefits of a road changing between trunk and primary?
> What does it do for map users and data consumers?

I would think that routers will pay some attention to the road
classification, assuming the higher one would be preferred for a faster
trip (less side entrances, stop etc).