[talk-au] Road classification in AUS

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 23:06:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 20:55, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think if you apply sensible defaults where not tagged (track => unpaved,
> other roads => paved, 50 km/hr for residential, lanes=2), then we have
> mapped a lot already, sure there's a lot to go, but we're getting there.

The subject of defaults, reminds me of something that I've been going to
bring up for a while now.

There was discussion on the Tagging list back in May
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-May/045149.html
concerning
changes being made to road types in Japan
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Japan_tagging/Road_types.

I don't know how, but these changes are apparently only going to effect
roads in Japan?

Since then, I've been going to bring it up here as to how we can set up
changes / defaults for Oz roads?

As Andrew said ^ - setting highway=residential as a default 50 kph would
immediately set the correct speed limit for probably 90% of Australian
residential streets!

So if it can be done in Japan, how do we do it?

Thanks

Graeme