[talk-au] OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:42:32 UTC 2019

Thanks for keeping us posted, John, & good work!

I'd agree with the suggestion of a stand-alone CLG as a SPC, together with
charity status.

Although, as you have noted, this combination reduces the need for an AGM &
Financial reporting; in the interest of transparency, I would urge you to
still hold an AGM & produce financial reports for the benefit of members.
This would / should not need to be a fully audited report produced by an
accountant - anybody who is capable of entering info into QuickBooks can
produce a simple profit & loss statement to show where money has come from,
& gone to, over the preceeding year.

Do you need to get professional help in setting the Company up? While there
is a bit involved, it is all relatively straight-forward, & mainly involves
filling out govt forms (which, to anybody able to use the OSM wiki, should
be a piece of cake! :-)) Having said that, my experience is only with
Incorporated Associations, so a CLG may be a bit different, but shouldn't
be hugely more complicated?

Good luck with it all!

Thanks

Graeme