[talk-au] Bushwalking site using OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 02:25:33 UTC 2019

Thanks for the feedback, Graeme.

I haven't done all the walks myself, and that's certainly not a
pre-requisite to add new ones. The walks themselves are maintained at
https://gitlab.com/beyondtracks/beyondtracks-walks

Although we have route=hiking relations in OSM, that's only for well
established, well defined and verifiable routes. While that works well for
some areas, many others the route itself is subjective, so I maintain it
all outside of OSM. I'm still working out the best way to streamline this
and finding the right balance between pulling information from OSM and
maintaining subjective information outside OSM.

Some of the ones I have added based pre-existing paths in OSM where I
haven't been there, I've found when I later visit, I made a few mistakes in
determining the best route, so I've had to fix things up. I think that's
okay, but just tells me it will be higher quality with on the ground
experience.

You're welcome to contribute to the walks either by adding a new issue
https://gitlab.com/beyondtracks/beyondtracks-walks/issues with details of
the walk or going in and creating the .osm file and creating a merge
request on gitlab.

Everything is in place to expand more interstate.

I do plan on adding photo locations to the map, and also some way of
showing the photo location when viewing the photo. But you're right, that
one is over the Wollondibby Creek, it's only new as it doesn't show up in
the aerial photos and I only just added it to OSM.

I added live bushfire incidents and beach water quality as I think these
are useful for bushwalkers. I want to expand the coverage to include other
states that publish this as open data, which QLD does, but since every
state does their own thing, it's a bit of work to unify them all. I will
probably add road closures too, but that's less of an immediate priority.