[talk-au] Aboriginal art sites

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 23:57:56 UTC 2019

This should be documented clearly. Whilst there is a lot of well known art
work, there are a significant number of sacred areas that should not be
mapped or identified due to the cultural significance. We only need one
person transgressing due to OSM to cause offence. I have just worked with
the local owners during an emergency and it is amazing the amount of
artifacts that were identified that could disappear if mapped accurately by
trophy hunters.

Ewen

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 10:38, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 08:51, Gavin Scott <gavincscott at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The issue about the sacred-ness -it is not the job of OSM to make this
>> call. If you think an item is too private to map (perhaps such as a farmers
>> internal road network) then don't map it. Tthis is the mappers call.
>>

> There has been discussion here previously about mapping ceremonial trails,
> & the consensus was that it should only be done with the agreement &
> approval of the local Elders, so the same principle should apply to these
> sites.
>
> Should that be documented as OSM (maybe AU?) policy, or left to the
> discretion of individual mappers?
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme

Warm Regards