[talk-au] What data is useful - request for ideas

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:34:39 UTC 2019

The higher resolution images and more frequent capture when at highway
speeds are very helpful for making sure street name signs get captured and
are readable, often I see reports from downstream users about a street name
being wrong in OSM, so having this in Mapillary helps provide some ground
truth so we can update this in OSM.

Just having the street level imagery is very useful for validating edits
and mapping road features like surface, speed limits, restrictions, turn
lanes, lane counts, etc.

That said, having recent imagery is useful, so re-capturing existing areas
every few months is helpful.

Only uploading every 3 months when you have a good connection is okay, I'll
do the same, sometimes uploading imagery that's older than a few months
since I'll hold it for upload until I have access to a faster upload
connection.