[talk-au] Residential street, parking lane

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 22:49:06 UTC 2019

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes used to be about marked
lanes, but the wiki has been updated to tag implied lanes, even those not
marked. A typical residential street might have no centerline at all but
still would be lanes=2 as in practice there are two lanes in use (one for
each direction), like in your second example. In your first example though
there is a solid double centerline, so it's clear there are at least 2
lanes.

My rule of thumb where you have a wide road with vehicles parked along the
road (parallel) is would you ever be driving two cars side by side on the
same side? If not, then I wouldn't consider it a lane and instead use
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:parking:lane, even though the
parking lane might have no paint on the ground, it's in practice used for
parking and typically has some kind of parking access signs in the nature
strip. If the road might be a clearway sometimes but act as a parking lane
other times, I'd include it as part of the lane count.

So for both of your examples I'd say these are lanes=2 +
parking:lane:both=parallel + parking:lane:both:parallel=on_street +
parking:condition:both=free (assuming not ticketed or restricted to
residents only).