[talk-au] Discussion D: mapping ACT for cyclists – complying with ACT law

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 08:04:57 UTC 2019

On 05/10/19 10:03, Herbert.Remi via Talk-au wrote:
> # Principle of tagging
> 1. Tagging should be consistent with the laws of the jurisdiction
> 2. Tagging should not be code but be explicit
> 3. Tagging should be useful
> 4. Tagging should be intuitive
> 5. Tagging should be easy (regional presets)
>
> I will comment on the first two.
>
> ## Principle 1
> ONE set of rules for tagging paths across all Australia is not
> possible ie each state needs its own section on the ATG. Australia is
> a federation. Each state makes its own road rules.

You are confusing law with mapping. A "path' in OSM is not a 'path'
necessary in some Australian law. The definitions can be different.
> State road rules override the “Australian Road Rules”. You cannot sign
> everything. Even when it is not signed, the laws still apply with
> penalties and potential prosecution and imprisonment (8 months in one
> recent example, 2019). Most states laws are not signed.
>
> The ACT the law is clear. All paths can be used by cyclists,
> pedestrians, but any wheeled vehicle that is not motorised, without
> exception.

An OSM highway=path with the tag bicycle=no should not be used by a
bicycle! You see OSM's 'path' is not necessarily an ACT law's 'path'!!!

> Combustion motored vehicles are not permitted on paths of all types.
> Electric motored skateboards, bikes, mobility devices, and soon
> scooters ARE permitted. The motors have power limits (not sure what,
> around 200W).

250 Watts

> Speed limits apply for footpaths of 25kmh for all e-devices.

I think you will find that wrong. The power assistance must cut out at
25 kmh .. does not stop the rider going faster under their own power.

A speed limit can be imposed on a section .. but that would be for all,
just as it is for cars, e.g. a Toyota Echo has the same speed limit
imposed as a VW Vernon.

> The liability situation is also clear. If a bike hits a pedestrian the
> cyclist is always at fault.

Always? A cyclist may have to 'give way' to a pedestrian .. that does
not stop a pedestrian leaping in front of the cyclist give the cyclist
no reaction time.
I think not 'always', there may be exceptions.

I think your understanding is very limited. And I don't think you know
enough to make changes to the wiki.