[talk-au] Men's Shed?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 04:22:35 UTC 2019

On 07/10/19 14:18, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> As per the title, what do we call a Men's Shed?
> https://mensshed.org/ in case any of our overseas followers don't know
> what we're talking about!
>
> I'm guessing club=? https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:club but what?
>
> Not really a community centre?
>
> Maybe craft=?, possibly =handicraft?
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Acraft%3Dhandicraft
>
> Any thoughts?
Better link as to what Men's Sheds are about
https://mensshed.org/
https://menshed.com/

There is at least one Women's Shed too.

Existing;

node 5359849540
amenity=community_centre
community_centre:for=men
name=North Sydney Men's Shed
website=https://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/Community_Services/Aged_Access/Men39s_Shed

The building is mapped as a separate closed way, with this node in the
middle of it. Don't think there is anything else inside the building.

The 'craft' can vary from shed to shed - some do woodwork ...
The council see them as a community service .. like a Library. Note I
created this one, IIRC with some input from this list.
IIRC there was a person who had a problem mapping one as the members
were concerned with possible enhanced theft possibilities.

others mapped in Syd area with name~Men's Shed

addr:housenumber=1
addr:postcode=2151
addr:state=NSW
addr:street=Fleet Street
addr:suburb=North Parramatta
name=Parramatta District Men's Shed
office=charity

building=yes
name=St George Men's Shed

amenity=social_centre
building=garage
capacity=50
name=Bankstown Men's Shed
phone=+61 2 9738 1147
website=https://www.bankstown.nsw.gov.au/index.aspx?NID=1152
wheelchair=yes

Possible new entry to the 'Australian Tagging Guidelines' once we come
to some general concision?