[talk-au] QTOPO online maps

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 01:15:27 UTC 2019

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 11:07, Greg Lauer <gregory.lauer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just so I am clear on this issue. We are not asking DERM to change the
> current CC4 licence. We are asking DERM to give us formal permission to use
> the data. This can be as simple as an email from a responsible party at
> DERM giving us permission. Am I interpreting this correctly?

We're not asking for them to license the data under ODBL or any other
license, we're asking for a waiver which provides one exception and one
clarifications to their data released under CC BY to ensure compatibility
with the ODBL license and clarification on how OpenStreetMap provides
attribution (which based on a strict, not taking an chances, reading of the
CC BY 4.0 license, OSM's attribution may not be enough to satisfy CC BY
4.0). This is detailed at
https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/.

The waiver is the last page of
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3PN5zfbzThqeTdWR1l3SzJVcTg/view. DERM (or
whatever their abbreviation is these days) said they won't agree to the
waiver once, and then again a second time in Dec 2018.

All the other green departments from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue were able to
agree.