[talk-au] QTOPO online maps

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 22:17:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 18:54, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> The text in the waiver referencing the ODbL is there so that it is clear
> that we are not proposing completely waiving the restrictions on DRM use
> (though for produced works it does essentially amount to that, but not for
> the data itself).
>
> Why doesn't anybody else (outside of OSM) have an issue with the terms
> that we are asking to be waived? Because they simply ignore them.
>
> I have yet to see any data project proprietary, closed or open that
> actually conveys this correctly to their users (CC BY 4.0 IMHO actually
> rules out using so licensed data in closed projects). Given that the
> department in question and the other distributors of data on CC BY terms
> must be aware that the relevant terms are as a rule ignored, you would
> think that giving a positive answer to an organisation that is so polite to
> ask before using the data would just be a formality, but it seems not.

Thanks for that explanation, Simon.

Maybe the request & waiver letter's could be modified to include a "simple
English" explanation of why we're asking, just like that, rather / in
addition, to the current legalese, because I think that a number of the
people saying no, just don't understand the question?

Thanks

Graeme