[talk-au] Discussion B: three shades of green

Adam Horan ahoran at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 04:07:26 UTC 2019

Hi,

Do you have a specific question? Send us a link to a way or changeset
rather than handwaving towards 20sq km of map, I have no idea where on that
map i'm meant to look.
As a guide to asking better questions: make it short, make it specific,
show that you've done some homework first, make it easy for people to help
you.

'Green' isn't a tag? Green is a rendered representation of the map data,
and is based on the choices made by the renderer for the purposes they need.

You should be looking at the access tag
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access this tag is generally
applied to nodes (eg gates) or ways (eg roads) and is less frequently
applied to areas.
The access statement is from the point of view of the public. The farmers
and construction workers are both just different types of private access,
and it's not particularly helpful to attempt to map that.
Most urban & urban fringe land in Australia is likely private, but you
won't find it mapped like this. In general you'll find mappers only add
access tags to clarify public or permissive access to public-looking land
(eg parks, reserves, gardens, sporting facilities, etc), or to land that
might look public but is in fact private. (eg school sports fields maybe?)

There are various tags for construction
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Construction  check them out first.

In *general *we only map what is on the ground, and drawing in 'planned'
stuff is not always helpful. Particularly if the planned roads modify
existing/current roads. Additionally, for 'planned' things you can't always
get the geometry data from a source that we can use. Adn you'll find that
lots of things get 'planned' and never materialise, so there's little point
building up that potential debt in our map.

Regards,

Adam