[talk-au] Discussion C: mapping on the street

David Wales daviewales at disroot.org
Thu Sep 26 23:42:15 UTC 2019

Hi Herbert,

Have you tried any of the apps listed on the Wiki?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software/Mobile

Android:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android

iOS:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

For editing on iOS I have used Go Map:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Go_Map!!

On Android I use Vespucci and StreetComplete:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vespucci

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/StreetComplete

StreetComplete allows one to place a note on the map with an image attached. You can then view the note and the image in iD or JOSM. StreetComplete also suggests edits to apply directly to the map, such as adding opening hours, etc.

Vespucci allows editing of pretty much anything, but is a bit tricky to use with a touchscreen because of this.

Go Map!! is similar to Vespucci, but on iOS with a slightly simpler interface.

Some navigation applications such as OSMAnd allow for limited editing and creation of points of interest. For instance, I used it to add some shops directly to the map recently.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OsmAnd

Regards,
David Wales