[talk-au] Discussion D: mapping ACT for cyclists – complying with ACT law

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 12:41:51 UTC 2019

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 20:35, Andrew Davidson <theswavu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/9/19 8:55 am, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> > If the way is specifically for a particular mode, then use
> > mode=designated. So a shared cycle pedestrian path is
> > foot=designated+bicycle=designated.
>
> Actually in Australia if a path is designated for bicycles then you
> can't walk on it:
>

> http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/s239.html
>
> vice versa if it's designated for pedestrians then you can't ride on it:
>

> http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/s249.html
>
> Which is why I only use the designated tag if there is a sign.

But then there are shared paths that are designated for both foot and
bicycle.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access says designated means "...in
general this means that there is a (explicit) sign saying something like
'pedestrians allowed', or a pedestrian icon."

So if signposted for a particular mode, I'd use [mode]=designated.