[talk-au] Discussion D: mapping ACT for cyclists – complying with ACT law

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 07:29:09 UTC 2019

On 30/09/19 14:37, Clinton Roy wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 13:58, Ewen Hill <ewen.hill at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to note that you can ride on a footpath if you are 12 or under OR as an adult riding with a child 12 or under. This is a national standard in all states I believe.
> I believe it's only nsw and vic that have these age based rules.
> Everywhere else, anyone can ride on the footpath (unless other wise
> specially signed of course).
>
> In nsw the age limit is 16, in vic it's 12.
>
> consistent rules would be..unaustralian? :)

To get somewhat political ... "States Rights" :)

Similar to many countries, separate areas have set the rules in 'their' locality and there are differences.
Getting constant rules means separate politicians have to agree on them.. that does not happen frequently.
I belivde WA is the only state requiring those orange reflectors on bicycle wheels and pedals .. after they are sold.
Other states only require them at the point of sale, after that you can take them off.