[talk-au] Join roundabouts

Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) v-nebrac at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 4 11:50:34 UTC 2020

Hi,

We could see that couple of users started joining ways that have an attribute junction=roundabout into single way.
By doing so, we recognize following (potential) issues:

  *   We have added plenty of destination relations (overpass query<https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/SlI>) across Australia, and by joining roundabout ways into one, relation could be broken because members "from" are lost. In the same time, "intersecting" members haven't been added, so the relation is invalid;
  *   If lanes (in real life) are changed within the roundabout (usually 2 lanes at some parts of the roundabout and 1 lane at the other), attributes regarding lane information are lost;
  *   Route relations could also be broken;
  *   If junctions are NOT roundabouts (but have a circular/elliptical shape), and ref id's were correctly set, after joining ways, refs would probably miss or just one would be present.

Some examples:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/717778304
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/39804616
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/717765311 - travaudat actually added "intersecting" role, but it is clear that lanes are changed within the roundabout

I would ask users to try not to brake existing relations, and to note that multiple ways can be a part of single roundabout so it is not necessary to join these.

Thank you,
Nemanja