[talk-au] How to label ill-defined places?

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 03:35:39 UTC 2020

Hi Ian and belated welcome aboard.
 Your tagging logic looks great, better than most. Whilst most prefer
natural features to not use place:locality, I believe that this is the
perfect fit where the name is used colloquially for that area of land
surrounding the river.
Perhaps consider when it slightly confusing to use
note: location approximate or,
note: location not clearly defined
(or similar) so the next mapper who may have more local knowledge knows
that the node can be moved or improved.

All the best with the Murray river, a nice short water way to get start off
with ;)

Ewen

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 12:57, Little Maps <mapslittle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again everyone, hope you’re all enjoying Easter. A simple newbie
> question...
>
> How do you label localities that have no precise boundaries? I’m working
> on part of the Murray River and adding locality names from Vic Gov data.
> Many can be placed on mapped features (e.g. campsites and beaches) but lots
> cannot.
>
> The most common examples are ‘bends’ and ‘points’, such as Horseshoe Bend,
> Hideaway Bend, Cray Point, Killers Point, etc. These areas have no mapped
> boundaries. Should these be added by placing a node / point in the
> appropriate place and labelled it as follows, or is there a better way?
>
> Place:locality
> Name: Killers Point
> Source geometry:
> Source name: xxx
>
> Thanks again, and thanks too to Warin for answering my earlier question.
>
> Best wishes Ian

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia