[talk-au] Practicality of mapping high-speed motor-traffic routes as cycle routes

Dongchen Yue yuedongchenyy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 09:08:43 UTC 2020

The most noticeable example in Sydney would be the M7 Shared Path (https://www.westlinkm7.com.au/about/shared-path <https://www.westlinkm7.com.au/about/shared-path>), which is a ~40km uninterrupted bi-directional path alongside the M7 Motorway with normally (though obviously not currently) very high usage for recreational cycling. However, although cycling on the motorway shoulders is neither recommended nor common, it’s been mapped on OSM as the cycle route „M7s" (https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.83065/150.85767&layers=C <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.83065/150.85767&layers=C>) along with the „M7 Cycleway“ route.