[talk-au] Anzacathon and mapping possibilities

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue Apr 21 06:08:42 UTC 2020

On 21/04/2020 02:25, Warin wrote:
> On 20/4/20 9:10 am, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 20/04/2020 00:49, Andrew Davidson wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 7:52 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro
>>> <mailto:daniel at pocock.pro>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     The CWGC copyright notice appears to be compatible with a bulk import of
>>>     their cemetery data.
>>>

>>> The copyright notice explicitly says you can only use it for personal use.
>> "Personal use" is one of those things that can be vague.  They don't
>> elaborate.
>
> 'They' don't need to elaborate.
> Most, if not all, lawyers will tell you that it excludes 'business use' where it is used to generate money.
> OSM requires that OSM data can be used to generate money.
>
> This, to me, clearly says that the data cannot be used in OSM.

Agreed, but it is safe for people to explore the data at home as part of
the Anzacathon

>> All these sites include a lot of photos and other material.  They may
>> only apply the strictest definition of their license to those things, it
>> could be worth contacting them to find out if they are happy for
>> OpenStreetMap collaboration on the location data.
>
> Go right ahead and contact them.
>
>> The Anzacathon itself is a personal and non-profit activity that I've
>> contributed to as a volunteer and I've cited all the data sources so I'm
>> quite comfortable with the licensing.
>
> You may be comfortable.
>
> Will OSM lawyers be?
>
> Will the authors and lawyers of those data sources be equally comfortable?

I agree with your concerns for the specific case of import to OSM

I notice that AWM is using OSM on their site but CWGC is using Google
Maps on their site.  An initiative to contact the CWGC might look at
something broader than this data set and look at the general question of
helping them operate without Google, like AWM.

The UK Government also has a strong commitment to Open Data and this
would be a factor for CWGC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_data_in_the_United_Kingdom

Based on the above, what are the things that people can do
constructively with the data as it stands?  Any suggestions would be
really welcome.

Hopefully I will have some more time to work on it myself this week, I
was planning to make a simple function for people to search for war
graves and monuments within a given radius.  That doesn't exist on any
of the sites right now.

Regards,

Daniel