[talk-au] Suburbs & admin boundaries stopping streets being found?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 08:21:48 UTC 2020

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 15:42, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Only a few Gold Coast suburbs, including these ones, have had their admin
> boundaries mapped (incidentally, as an aside, they've been mapped as
> admin_level=10 - should they be =9?) eg
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/973018.
>
> In addition, the overall Gold Coast LGA boundary hasn't been mapped.

This is something I've been wishing to address for a while ever since a few
of us started working on PSMA Admin Boundaries import
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/PSMA_Admin_Boundaries.
We made good progress on that, but it never happened. I keep meaning to
pick it up again but never find the time. If someone else wants to pick up
the import please do, I'd love to see it happen.

I think it just needs more discussion now around the admin_level, and then
a plan which is essentially, all will be imported manually to merge with
existing state border boundaries, any existing coastal boundaries etc, and
then do that manually import, probably state by state.

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 17:45, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-au <
talk-au at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Would mapping the Gold Coast LGA as admin_level=8 resolve it?
>
> I would rather ask is it a good way to
> resolve OSM data issue.

I thought we had this pretty well sorted in Australia, but seems not as in
NSW most seem to be tagged admin_level 6 yet this is not what
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#Table_1:_Countries_using_admin_level_3.E2.80.9310
says
should happen. However reviewing the wiki it does seem like globally
"municipalities" are mostly admin_level 8 and the hierarchy given on that
wiki page seems good to me. So 8 seems good, but I think in NSW we need to
raise this discussion again on why they currently are mapped at admin_level
6.